New Exhibits to Open at Port Discovery Children’s Museum!
Celebrate the grand opening of a $10.5 million transformation at one of the nation’s top Children’s Museums. This marks the Museum’s first major makeover since opening in December 1998. Featuring a new four-story SkyClimber and life-sized cargo ship celebrating The Port of Baltimore! Although construction temporarily closed off several permanent exhibit areas, the Museum remained open with hands-on learning experiences in The Construction Zone in the Atrium at Port Discovery and a Pop-Up Play Space at The Shops at Kenilworth. Schedule of celebrations can be found here.
Port Discovery Children’s Museum will celebrate the grand opening of two new exhibits, The SkyClimber and The Port, improved Museum amenities, and the re-opening of other exhibits with opening festivities on Friday, June 14, 2019 at Noon. All visitors are welcome. Tickets available in-person at the Port Discovery Box Office.
While enjoying the transformative new exhibits, visitors will soar to new heights on the four-story SkyClimber, which encourages children to build confidence, learn problem solving skills, build motor skills, and more. They’ll sail towards new adventures on The Port, which includes life-sized cargo ship, gantry crane, and engine room, all of which encourage teamwork, help children learn about the world around them, and demonstrate the importance of The Port of Baltimore. Plus, children and families will enjoy other favorite exhibits that encourage playful learning, discovery, connection, community, and self-discovery.
New Exhibits & Amenities Include:
– SkyClimber: Soar to new heights as you try to reach the clouds! Dare to dream – and test your courage – as you get climb your way up and around a four-story SkyClimber that takes up into the clouds. As parents and children climb and reach new heights, you’ll build confidence and problem-solving skills while having fun with new friends. You’ll even trigger sound effects from Mother Nature as you climb high above Port Discovery and reach for the stars. Toddlers can get in on the action, too, with a soft play area on the ground level featuring an underwater-themed reading nook and friendly sea-monster (turned slide!), Chessie!
– The Port: Become the captain of an imaginative adventure on a life-sized cargo ship! Sail, navigate and engineer as you explore the seas, discover how products make their way around the world, and work together to move, stack and explore what’s inside shipping containers! Little learners will enhance early social and problem-solving skills by working together to operate a gantry crane, learn how to navigate a ship, and more! Plus, learn about the Port of Baltimore – and the many jobs and products that make up one of the world’s most active ports!
– Updated Amenities: Visitors will enjoy a state-of-the-art lobby, upgraded restrooms, new family seating areas, a new nursing area, and a renovated lunch room.
– Featured Traveling Exhibit: The Here We Grow! Exhibit** will be featured at Port Discovery through spring 2020. This hands-on Maryland agricultural themed exhibit introduces children and families to the processes, products, and people who work on farms. The exhibit explores farming through themes of science and technology, history, local ecology, global economics, and art. Hands-on activities help children learn about the importance of agriculture in their everyday lives. The exhibit also helps children understand concepts including agricultural conservation and sustainability.
– Other Permanent Exhibits: Port Discovery features three floors of hands-on, interactive exhibits that encourage children to use their imaginations, ask questions, and explore how things work as they learn through play. Children learn to play together, experience real-world exhibits and situations and learn skills that help them in school and life. In addition to the newly opened SkyClimber and The Port, permanent exhibits at Port Discovery Children’s Museum include: Adventure Expeditions, BGE Studio Workshop, Kick it Up!, The Oasis, PD Presents, Previews, Pop-Ups & Prototypes, Royal Farms Convenience Store & Fill’er Up Station, Tiny’s Diner, Tot Trails, and Wonders of Water.
Hours of Operation:
June 14, 2019: Open Noon – 5pm
Beginning June 15, 2019, hours of operation will be as follows:
-Mondays – Saturdays: 10am – 5pm
-Sundays: Noon – 5pm
-Special Hours: Closed on Thursday, June 20th for Play It Forward Fundraiser
About Port Discovery Children’s Museum
Port Discovery Children’s Museum has served more than five million children and families since opening in 1998 and is ranked among the Top 10 Children’s Museums in the United States by Fodor’s Travel, Forbes and Parents Magazine. Port Discovery Children’s Museum educates children and inspires life-long curiosity. Our play-to-learn philosophy opens the door for children to discover and explore the world around them and to lead smarter, healthier, more engaged lives. The Museum, a 501(c)(3) non-profit institution, offers three floors of educational, interactive exhibits and programs.