Summer is my all-time favorite time in Washington, DC, despite the hot temperatures, there is something always going on. An outdoor festival, fountains to splash around in, an outdoor sports game to watch or live music are a few of our go-to’s. We want to help you kick off your summer the right way so you don’t miss out on some of the great summer events in Washington, DC.
- Jazz in the Sculpture Garden: The Jazz in the Garden Series begins its 19th season in May. The free concert series features jazz artists performing a wide variety of styles—Brazilian Folk Jazz, Alternative Modern, Blues, Reggae, World Steam Punk, Afro Funk, African Fusion Jazz, Cuban Charanga, Django Guitar, New Orleans Jazz, and more—every Friday evening from 5:00 to 8:30 in the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden. Bring a picnic, buy a beverage, relax and enjoy the atmosphere, sculptures and music.
- Local splash parks
- Wolf Trap children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods: June 18- Aug 3, 2019- Across the meadow from the Filene Center, literally tucked in the woods at Wolf Trap National Park, the Children’s Theatre-in-the-Woods has been a summer tradition for generations of children and families. Performances range from music and dance to puppetry and storytelling—interactive, educational, and fun. All shows are about an hour long and are perfect for children ages 4 and up. Event calendar can be found here.
- Play in your own yard! Our family loves good old fashioned chalk and bubbles on our front walkway but we also play tons of catch, water play and scootering. This wouldn’t be possible if we didn’t have our yard sprayed by Mosquito Squad. The first year we lived in our house we weren’t able to sit on our front porch for more than a minute without being bitten by mosquitos. Mosquito Squad has made an amazing difference and after our treatment the mosquitos are gone! What I love most is that their spray techniques allow for kids and pets to return to playing just 30 minutes after service.
- Pirate Adventure on the Chesapeake: Boat + Annapolis + Pirate Adventure = Outdoor Perfection
- Smithsonian Folklife Festival: The Smithsonian Folklife Festival is June 29 & 30, 2019 and you will experience living traditions from around the world. The goal is to work with communities to strengthen and preserve their cultures and share them with you on the National Mall in Washington, D.C.
- Strathmore Backyard Theatre: Enrich your little ones’ summer Thursday mornings in July with sunshine, music, and laughter at Strathmore’s Backyard Theater for Kids. This eclectic program is the perfect summer escape for busy families. Pack a picnic and enjoy live performances by highly esteemed and innovative family-friendly entertainers.
- Montgomery County Agriculture Fair: The Fair will be August 9-17, 2019 and has animals, rides, entertainment, food, commercial, home arts, arts and crafts exhibits, and many others for the whole family to enjoy!
- 11th Annual Ukulele Festival at Strathmore: It’s a celebration of the marvelous musicality of the ukulele on August 21, 2019. UkeFest features ukulele superstars Cathy Fink, Marcy Marxer, Daniel Ho, and Peter Luongo along with a mass strum-along. This fantastically fun concert is the culmination of the 11th annual UkeFest intensive workshop and a highlight of summer at Strathmore!
- Kayak, canoe and paddle boating: Ballpark Boathouse, Fletcher’s Boathouse, Mariner Sailing School, The Wharf
Mosquito Squad of Greater Washington DC is our communities’ leading choice for mosquito, tick, and flea control, as well as other forms of backyard pest control. Their work has made it possible for customers to enjoy their backyards for the first time without fear of bug bites or vector-borne diseases. Their work is backed by a 100% customer satisfaction guarantee. If you don’t like the results, they promise to spray your yard again for free or refund your money. Schedule your mosquito control treatment by calling (571) 364-6956 and find a service that is right for your family here.
This post was written in partnership with D.C. Mosquito Squad who is providing standard barrier treatment for our yard this summer.